Chowdah time! This looks pretty tasty and easy, and sure sounds good on a chilly day.
6 cups frozen sweet corn, defrosted
3 scallions, trimmed and halved
1 clove of garlic, peeled
1/4 cup semolina
6 cups hot vegetable stock made from concentrate or bouillon cubes
1 package (about 14 ounces) lightly salted tortilla chips
2 cups grated cheese (Cheddar is good)
2 long red chiles, deseeded and finely chopped (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Drain the corn and put into a food processor with the scallions, garlic and semolina. Blitz to a speckled primrose mush; unless you ahve a big processor you have have to do this in two batches.
3. Tip this mixture into a large saucepan, add the hot vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Then turn down the heat and let the chowder simmer, partially covered, for 10 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, spread the tortilla chips on an aluminum foil-lined baking sheet. Sprinkle these with cheese. Warm in the hot oven for 5 to 10 minutes or until cheese melts.
5. Ladle the soup into bowls and put a small mound of cheese-molten chips into the middle of each bowl. Top with some of the red chile [optional]. Serve.
Recipe courtesy of Nigella Lawson on NPR